Monday, April 20, 2015

Be careful of the word psychosomatic!

Psychosomatic is a big word meaning you are not ill but your mind is making you think you are ill. I have been following several stories on the news where this has supposedly played a part. I would say don't pass judgement yet. Psychosomatic is sometimes used when doctors do not spend enough time with their patients.Also when patients do not take charge of their care by asking questions and getting second and sometimes third opinions. This diagnosis does apply to some people.

I speak from personal experience. The first time happened when I had I had been vomiting for a week. After four minutes with the emergency room doctor, he sent me home with a diagnosis of stomach flu. When I returned two days later being unable to hold any fluids down, he became angry and told me it was all in my head. His exact words, "I will get a quick ultrasound on your abdomen and prove nothing is wrong. I don't want to wake up the C.A.T. person on call." He admitted me to the hospital because of a large pancreatic pseudocyst and  lab tests showing severe dehydration.

Four years later, I had another bout of an illness being labeled in my mind only. The emergency room doctor actually told me that my vomiting and documented weight loss was caused by a psychosomatic disorder. Two days later, I was admitted to the hospital due to a fever of 104.6 F and disorientation. After a through work up, I had surgery to remove a pancreatic tumor.

A bad one happened was when I became anemic. My problem as I was told was that I was not taking my iron pills and eating properly. It was a sign of mental illness to do this for attention.

 It was taking 60 kotex and 3 boxes of super tampons each monthly period. The doctor said that he did not believe me. A week later I became very sick and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. After getting transfused with four units of blood, I was given a through work up. Ended up having a complete hysterectomy and removal of both tubes and ovaries. I was bleeding to death slowly due to uterine adenocarcinoma. I asked the doctor when rounds were being made to explain how mental illness caused adenocarcinoma. He hung his head and walked out of the room.

The only time I ever sought help for back pain, I was humiliated. The triage nurse told me it was best that I didn't sign in to see the doctor. It would be over 24 hours before I was seen. She suggested that I go to the psychiatric clinic because emotional stress can cause back pain.

Turns out that a kidney stone had blocked one of my ureters. I had developed hydronephrosis  and sepsis. Ended up being placed in a medical induced coma after surgery. Developed adult respiratory distress syndrome and was on a ventilator via a tracheostomy. Spent a long time in intensive care. I had what was called a small stroke. It took over a year to recover. My imaginary back pain almost kicked  my ass straight through heavens gate for judgement.

The doctors at the clinic refer to me as a pain in their butt in loud whispers when I go to clinic,  I hold my head up and look them straight in their eyes and tell them that its "Miss pain in the butt." They do this because I ask questions and will not be brushed off. I get a second opinion if needed after researching what the doctor tells me. I have real medical issues and I want to live to see grandchildren. So take charge of your medical care.

I read information from the following links before posting, There was more pages on this topic than I would have thought. I only picked two.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/psychosomatic

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/12-million-americans-misdiagnosed-each-year-study-says/

http://patients.about.com/od/yourdiagnosis/a/How-Common-Is-Misdiagnosis-Or-Missed-Diagnosis.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment