Sunday, January 5, 2014

A child declared braindead

I was absent from blogging for a long time. With a serious illness keeping me on the sidelines, I really didn't think much about the blog. My apologies for those who read my other one. Now that I'm on the slow road to recovery, I'm back sitting on my front porch.

It saddened me listening to the lawyer for the hospital where Jani McMath is on life support get on his soapbox. This lawyer let ooze from his mouth words that hurt. His education should have endowed him with a little knowledge about the grief and grieving process. That process does not fit a timeline. It also doesn't follow any bean counters rant on about spending too much money and stating she needs to go. This is a human in question and not a yard dog from a poor family at the veterinarian's.  They're fighting back since the process is being rushed.  

First, I want to say SHAME ON YOU to the lawyer. Getting a coroner to fill out a death certificate on the girl is low. His words do not come from God's own lips. Read on to see what I refer to.

With a heavy heart, I realized watching this unfold that I was as cold-hearted as the lawyer earlier in my life. On duty one night, the father of a distant relative came in the hospital where I worked. I was doing CPR as the code blue. As his pupils became fixed and dilated, I thought that he was brain dead. He was sent to a hospital floor on a ventilator after the EEG was flat. A month later, he left the hospital because "God happened." He was still able to farm his land. Though he was weak on one side with a useless arm, he countered that with having said arm in a sling.

The next time God intervened was when a teenaged girl was hit on the side of her head with a baseball. I saw the X-Rays and C.A.T. scans. It was not a pretty picture. The hospital said she was brain-dead. She missed a year of school. Her recovery was credited to rehabilitation, her family and God. This girl, which was declared brain dead, walked into the Intensive Care Unit in the hospital where I worked a year later with her mother. The girl's mother went with her to school to carry her books as she was unable to do so having general overall weakness. Dear Mr. Lawyer, the girl was in a regular class, not a special education class.

There are several other cases I know of where a person who was declared brain dead recovered. These cases are not typical when God determines it is time to go. Nothing will change that.

My point is this: we cannot stop doing our medical best for everyone. That's not a power for mankind.

If you want to know why I feel so strongly about this, consider: Hitler started his madness with his 'Life unworthy of Life' campaign.


No comments:

Post a Comment