Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Random thoughts during these troubled times

It is every American's right to protest. That is something which is covered under the First Amendment and is embedded in our country from it's inception until now. What is not our right is when someone destroys, maims or injures innocent bystanders.

Yes. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. did state that "A riot is the language of the unheard" One must also remember that he is also a Minister. Destruction is not a hallmark of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's message.

While Amos does state "But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!" (Amos 5:24) and Jesus Himself stated "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." (Matthew 25:35) there is something that is being forgotten during this matter.

Precisely: “In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry." (Ephesians 4:26)

When you lash out against someone who's trying to defend their shop, when you do 'not' stop those who are escalating your peaceful protest to something more violent, you need to understand the parable of the Watchman. "But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes someone’s life, that person’s life will be taken because of their sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for their blood" (Ezekiel 33:6).

I disagree with how Lonewalker worded some of his guest post. However during a discussion he and I had, there are a few points we agree with:
* Christ himself was filled with the fury and zeal of the Lord and did himself Riot in the Temple. More precisely: "Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves." (Matthew 21:12)
* It is absolutely horrible that there is this destruction going on. People are forgetting the parable of the watchman. They're also forgetting that they are to "be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves" (Matthew 10:16)
* There is major speculation that random bricks are being left behind and agitators with ties to Trump and White Nationalism movements are aggravating and  turning protests into riots. As Lonewalker said to me once: "If I wanted to destroy an organization I'd send infiltrators with instructions to, at the right time and place, turn a peaceful measure into a violent riot. That way I can invoke whatever 'act' is within my Government's laws to do as I will"
* Even though the NYPD and other police officers are randomly attacking people including those who work in hospitals treating patients during this COVID-19 crisis, Jesus himself stated that "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" (Matthew 7:12).

Instead of destroying property or causing physical damage in your anger, step up and stop those who are turning your protest into a riot. Shield those who are being abused. If you cannot shield, video record and post on social media. Take those injured to the hospital.

And whatever you do, do not escalate the situation. De-escalate the situation, do as the song "Jesus to the Wold" by Newsong states:
"We need to be lambs that roar
We need to be eagles that soar
We need to be soft
We need to be light
We need to be Jesus to the world"

Social Justice is a hallmark of Christianity. I will never argue that. As a mother my heart breaks seeing what all has happened, and the video of those officers murdering George Floyd both angers me and has me feeling  for his family.

Black Lives Matter. Justice for George Floyd. Exercise your First Amendment but PLEASE don't forget what God has said about Vengeance:

"Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. (Romans 12:19)




No comments:

Post a Comment