Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Nature of Goodness

Posting this as Mommastonewolf is sick today. She read this on my Facebook and thought it was a good read - Lonewalker

Alright: I'm going to preface this with a trigger warning. By a trigger warning, I mean if you do not wish to read what I am about to write, then scroll on by. As this is my  page I will accept discourse either in my inbox, here or my phone. I respect all of you. I ask you do the same.
Now that the warning is out of the way..
Obamacare repeal and replace amendment fails in the Senate - Mic
https://apple.news/AZyU6IAEuS0i5IhGEu7Hb8g
I know of people on both sides of the political spectrum and their concern about the vote:
On the Republican side: A lot of people are upset both at the requirements for Obamacare. The taxation, the federally mandated requirement for the insurances. The joke of a marketplace. I've heard people say why buy it if you do not need it.
What's left unsaid is what will happen with the repeal and replace:
1) Premiums and deductibles will skyrocket. As per the Kaiser Family Foundation someone making $18k a year will see deductibles rise to $6,105 vs $255. Instead of the tax penalty for no insurance, premiums will skyrocket instead.
I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes have to borrow or do interesting math. If I do not have coverage because it's $500/month for insurance and I make $2000/month...I'm sorry that $500 will go to rent and the cost of living and I will be without insurance.
Without insurance: I had a stroke last year. I have some familiar conditions which will be aggravated as I get older. I also live in an area populated by idiots.
Say I were to get injured were this bill to pass....do you know...I'd only be able to go to a local hospital in a 50 mile radios, which has questionable care anyway. I'd be taken to collections, a burden on the government anyway. And my financial credit and livelihood ruined due to something not my fault.
2) Medicaid defunded. This is self explanatory. Not even going into the effect that Planned Parenthood devotes a lot of their time on dealing with basic women's health like mammograms and Pap smears, a lot of working class people cannot afford Insurance. Hence state Medicaid...which is being defunded. Due to meddling by bipartisan parties, more and more physicians drop Medicaid patients due to their bottom line suffering.
Those which aren't defunded are forced into sub par managed care plans (I personally cannot stand WellCare due to their convoluted rules)
Now: I get why Democrats are keeping Obamacare but there are some things to consider:
1) Who approved exemptions for Congress and the President?
2) Who approved a sub par reimbursement rate for insurance companies trying to enter new markets.
I have a few things to consider while I encourage and preach for people to focus on fixing Obamacare and not repealing:
1) Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. - Matthew 7:12
2) The Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love - 2 Nephi 26:30
3) There will always be some in the land who are poor. That is why I am commanding you to share freely with the poor - Deuteronomy 15:11
4) Charity which is given without consideration of anything in return....that charity is regarded as the nature of goodness. - Bhagavad Gita 17:20
5) Various Hadith speak of Charity in the Islamic faith.
6) "I can make the argument that the only ones with true morality are us, the atheists. We are doing good because it's good and are doing right because it's right and not for reward or punishment." - Penn Jillette
See a common theme? See a common element? Why can this not be focused on Healthcare as well?
Tl:Dr every moral belief, be it secular or spiritual requires helping your fellow man. Why must it stop at healthcare? Why do those who profess love of their fellow man seek to harm those who are 'the least of these'

No comments:

Post a Comment