Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A mom's reflection on Ferguson

The incident at Ferguson, Missouri tugs at the heart of all mothers. Education of ours sons has to change in order to ensure their survival. It's not right, however we have to adapt to teach ways around the wrongs, including the grand jury's decision. This is what I taught my son:

1) If a cop stops you, do exactly what the cop tells you. Be respectful, including biting your tongue to prevent 'smart assed words' from falling from it.

2) If arrested, do not panic. I will not get on your case until I've talked with you. Until you see me, the only question you should answer and may answer is your name, age and where you live. The police are not your friends, mainly as they are masters at twisting your words into a confession. Don't look them in the eye.

3) When I do get there, tell me exactly what happened. To me, NO fact is insignificant. If you lie to me, remember that you will not be in jail forever and I WILL take you behind the woodshed for a private discussion.

4) Think you:
a) If they hit you or kick you, that will pay for private school when the lawsuit settles
b) If they assault you or put you with people who assault you, the lawsuit will pay for four years of college.
c) If you are innocent, nobody will ever have to work post lawsuit.
d) Text me, when you get older, where you are. Make it hourly. This way I can show the cops where you were so they cannot accuse you of doing said crime.

Bad things happen to good people. I told my son to follow what I said, and it will help me to prove to others that he is the man I know he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment